House Republicans on Wednesday asked President Obama to release to the public a State Department cable the GOP says would show former Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton approved cutting security at the U.S. diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, Libya, ahead of last year’s deadly attack.
“An April 19, 2012, cable bearing Secretary Clinton’s signature acknowledged requests for additional security, but nevertheless ordered the withdrawal of security assets to proceed as planned,” the chairmen of five House committees wrote in a letter to Mr. Obama.
SPECIAL COVERAGE: Benghazi Attack Under Microscope
“Given the gravity of this issue, we request that you immediately make the April 19, 2012, State Department cable public.”
On Tuesday the five chairmen, who oversee the House investigations, armed services, intelligence, judiciary and foreign affairs committees, released an interim report that cleared both the Pentagon and intelligence community of any culpability in last year’s attack.
Instead, the chairmen blamed the State Department, and Mrs. Clinton in particular, for rejecting requests for more security, and blamed the White House for failing to give the Defense Department the authority to respond to this type of attack.
The White House said the report was a rehash of what was already known about the attack, which left four Americans dead, including Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens.